|1|| || |
New/Renewal Process: How can one apply for new/renewal of passport online?
- Step 1: First register through Passport Seva Portal and create a user ID by Clicking here.
- Step 2: Login to Passport Seva Portal with the user ID created in step 1 by Clicking here.
- Step 3: After login, click on 'Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport' link. Reissue is for renewal.
- Step 4: Fill the required details in the form over the internet and submit. Note the application number.
- Step 5: After login, click 'Manage Appointment' on 'Applicant Home Page' to schedule an appointment at a Passport Seva Kendra(PSK) by Clicking here. If no appointment available, try again at specified time.
- Step 6: After scheduling an appointment to visit PSK, if you cannot visit on scheduled appointment date and time, then cancel/reschedule the appointment so that other applicants can utilise that time slot.
- Step 7: Click 'Print Application Receipt' link to print the application receipt containing Application Reference Number(ARN)/Appointment Number by Clicking here.
- Step 8: On the day of appointment, visit the 'Passport Seva Kendra' centre along with original documents. Take 'self attested' photocopy of all documents along with you to avoid any running around at the centre. To check list of documents that you need to take, check 'Document Advisor' link on the site by Clicking here.
|2|| || |
Applying over internet: Can I apply for a passport online over the internet?
- Yes, you can apply for a passport online.
- Click here to apply online.
|3|| || |
Time/Fee: What is the processing time and fee? How will it be delivered?
- Click here to check processing fee.
- It takes approximately a month to get the passport from the date of application.
- Department ensures delivery of passport to the address mentioned in the application form.
|4|| || |
Tatkal: Is there a TATKAL scheme to get a passport quicker than normal process?
- Yes, there is a TATKAL scheme to get a passport. Click here for information and TATKAL fee details.
- You can apply for new/renewal of passport by following steps mentioned in point 1 above.
|5|| || |
Track Current Status: How do I check the status of my passport?
- Click here to track your passport status online.
|6|| || |
Lost/Stolen: What if passport is lost or stolen with no photocopy or passport number?
- First report about the lost passport at the nearest police station as there are strong chances of it being misused, before you start applying for a new passport.
- In case of damaged passport: Apply for duplicate passport by following steps in point 1 above for a 'Reissue' of passport.
- Lost during travel abroad: Contact the Indian embassy in that country who will issue an 'Emergency Certificate' using which you can return to India. Upon return, apply for 'Reissue' of passport.
- If you do not have a photocopy of your passport and do not know your passport number, then go to the issuing Passport office and talk to the Passport officer, tell him/her your story. They may be able to track your passport number asking your details like name, father's/mother's name, residential address etc.
- If it is not possible to visit 'issuing passport office', you should visit Assistant Passport Officer (APO) at your nearest PSK (Passport Seva Kendra).
- Duplicate passport is made within 1 or 2 months from date of application. Department ensures delivery of the passport to the address mentioned in application form.
|7|| || |
Minor Children: Do they need a separate passport?
- A minor needs to have a separate passport now. Applicants less than 18 years of age are considered as minor. Endorsement of child's name in parent's passport is not allowed anymore.
- Follow the steps mentioned in point 1 above to file for new/renewal of passport.
|8|| || |
Changes in passport: How do I change my name/address in the passport?
- To change the name or photograph in the passport, you have to apply for a 'Reissue' of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars.
- Approach the nearest Regional Passport Office and submit the following documents:
a) Form 2 Application.
b) Surrender original passport and proof of residence along with 2 photocopies.
- For Normal Change in Name, also submit:
a) Annexure E affidavit.
b) Newspaper cuttings for proof of change in name.
- For Change in Name after marriage, also submit:
a) Annexure D Affidavit.
b) 2 copies of Marriage Certificate.
- For change in address, also submit 2 copies of new address proof. Department will deliver new passport within 1 month from date of application by speed post.
|9|| || |
Complaint Filing: Where/whom should I contact to file a complaint?
- For any complaint or suggestion, contact your nearest Regional Passport Officer, Chief Passport Officer or the Public Transport Officer.
- Click here for contact details.
|10|| || |
Passport requirement: Do I require a passport for visiting every country?
- Except for Nepal, you require a passport for travelling to all other countries.
- Visa not required for a maximum stay of 2 weeks in Bhutan, provided permit is issued upon arrival by immigration.
- Visa is also not required for Indian nationals visiting Mauritius.
|11|| || |
Multiple Passports: Can I have more than one passport?
- No. Possessing multiple passports is illegal and punishable by law.
- Click here for official website of 'Consular, Passport and Visa Division' of Government of India that highlights more questions and answers related to passport.